Property management, by nature, is a chaotic industry. You’re constantly being pulled in half a dozen different directions and having to juggle a multitude of tasks, all of which are critically important to running a successful operation. Because of this, it’s extremely important that you remain as organized as possible at all times. Easier said than done, right? Here are some of the signs it’s time to stop, reassess and de-clutter your office and your life.
• When an opportunity presents itself for you to showcase a property you’re managing, you can’t readily locate the tools you need (brochures, flyers, pictures, info sheets, etc.).
• Finding files on your computer is challenging – even those you just created yesterday.
• You have piles and piles of unopened mail scattered all over your desk, burying what’s really important and distracting you from concentrating on work. You just can’t seem to find the time to open everything.
• You’re constantly shuffling paperwork around, from your one side of your desk to the other, in and out of drawers. Then, when you need a particular document, it’s like a treasure hunt trying to find it.
Boost the productivity of your property management business. Download a free copy of The Property Manager’s Guide to Maximizing Productivity.
• When an employee needs documentation of something, you spend hours looking for what you need.
• Your email inbox is overloaded with incoming messages. Spam is mixed in with important emails, making it difficult to weed through.
• When you get a call requesting paperwork - whether it’s a copy of an invoice, a rental agreement or something else – you’re never able to access it immediately. You always have to get back to the person after you’ve spent hours searching for what they’re looking for.
• You can’t remember the last time you had the furnace or HVAC systems (etc.) serviced in your rental properties, so you have no idea when they need to be looked at again.
• Maintenance requests from tenants are constantly getting lost in the shuffle and things are falling through the cracks.
• Your cash flow isn’t where it should be because checks end up lost in the clutter on your desk and aren’t being processed as quickly as they could.
If you’ve read through this list and can relate to more than half of the things listed here, then it’s time to overhaul your office and your life. The first step is getting organized, and the best way to do this is with property management software. This will help you stay on top of maintenance requests, accept electronic payments, access important files and documents at the click of a button and so much more.
You’ll also want to start a filing system for paperwork that you’re required to keep hard copies of. Mail should be sorted once a day. Same goes for emails. It may seem like a lot, but taking a few days to get everything in order will set you up for a much easier ride going forward. Trust us – you’ll be glad you did!
Find out what more you can do to boost the productivity of your property management business. Download a free copy of The Property Manager’s Guide to Maximizing Productivity.